Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Rundown of the Trip

A shortened version of our trip to Oahu, Hawaii


Day 1 - Thursday June 15, 2006

Arrived around 11:30am... got the luggage with no delay and went to the Alamo to pick up rental car...the line there was monsterious! I stayed with the luggage and my hubby waited in the loooooong line... about an hour lately he came out smiling and told me, "Let's go!" then he poped the trunk to a 2006 Cadillac Deville - YAY! I was a happy girl! I said, "well thank you my Cadillac Man!" (my hubby used to work soley on Caddi's) .... and this is the car I want to buy some day - my hubby has promised me one someday :-) So as you can imagine - I was estatic about the car selection...he later told me that he saw it when we arrived and knew that was the car he was going to get! HEE HEE HEE! I never even noticed it there while I sat an hour...

...we drove down the VERY busy streets to our hotel.... checked in, dropped our stuff off there and headed straight to Waikiki beach... I quickly got in the ocean water expecting warm waters... to my surprise the water wasn't much warmer than our waters here in SD... but it was still very refreshing to wade in....next we got a Mai Tai and sipped it on the shore... VERY NICE! :-)

...about 5pm my father arrived and texted messaged us...we met up with him at the hotel and went out to dinner (walked), Tony Romas! YUMMY! My hubby and I shared a rib, shrimp, steak platter... more than enough food for the both of us... after dinner we strolled along the busy streets... and widow shopped and people watched...there are a lot of street performers downtown so we watched some of them... Dad headed to bed pretty early and RO and I walked the streets til about midnight.... Busy night here...


TIP: Want to hang out on the beach? They are a whole lot less crowded at night and just as pretty just as relaxing...

Day 2 - Friday June 16, 2006

We got up early to head to Denny's for breakfast - one of my Dad's favorite spots to hit while he is in the states...after breakfast we headed out to Hananuma Bay to snorkel! WOW! What a beautiful spot! I wish we could have spent all day there! Very peaceful to swim with the fish... I saw some BIG ones that I had never seen before...it was a VERY low tide... I wacked my knee on the coral! OUCH! then did it again... OUCH, OUCH! It drew blood and I got my first experience with Coral poisoning! owwie! I rinsed it out really good and scrubbed it with soap... here, while snorkeling I lost my Grandpa's ring - BOO HOO!!! I was pretty bummed about that! VERY SAD! I don't think I said anything for a few hours...but I didn't cry too much, just thought and thought...I got to thinking about it and all my wonderful memories of my Grandpa way way way out weigh any little ring...besides that - the ring never really BELONGED to my pa.... my Grandmother found it and gave it to him a long time ago - which means it was lost once before and maybe the ocean was taking it back for the man who lost it...I am sure his heart was sadden when he (the original owner) lost it..... We then drove along the coast to North Shore....BEAUTIFUL! Wonderful coastlines... We stopped at a Shrimp Shack on the way up - it was YUMMY! We headed back in time to make a Sunset Dinner Cruise! FUN FUN! We went on a BIG boat, the boat was a cruiser - a nice smooth ride even when we were hauling butt in rough waters....there was a live band, singer and dancers... we had a great time and Riechel and I even got a little wet on the way back as the rough waters splashed up in the boat! FUN FUN! RO got us a bottle of champange to celebrate! YUMMY! Before we got off - I did a little singing and dancing on stage myself :-) Lots of fun!


Got back , changed clothes and walked the busy streets again - got a drink to sip and watched the night life go by... CRAZY BUSY NIGHT! It's Friday - the clubs don't close til 4am here - so they street just start getting pumped up at about 11pm/midnight... bed time for us...

TIP: Watch out for strangers wanting to shank your hands... On this night I lost a cheap ring this way... :-( Glad it was a cheap one... the man I bought something off of shook my hand like three or four times... I thought it was a little weird but passed him as super friendly til later at bedtime I realized my ring was gone. That is two rings lost in one day! Bummer!


Day 3 - Saturday June 17, 2006

Got up early and headed downstairs to the Big Kahuna for Breakfast! We shared a HUGE bowl of biscuits and gravy and a side of sausage.... it was soooo YUMMY! Then we caught our tour bus to the Polynesian Culture Center (http://www.polynesia.com/)... the bus tour there was great! The tour guys pointed out some neat culture and geography facts and myths along the way... and once we got there we had another excellent tour guide... he took us all around to the different villages, we watched lots of different shows, dances and demonstrations.... this place is like Disneyland of Luaus from 7 different islands...Fiji, New Zealand, Tonga, etc...awesome! If you ever make it to Oahu this place is a MUST stop! We spent all day there and then enjoyed a fabulous dinner there too! Crab, shrimp, macadamia crsuted Fried chicken (YUM), prime rib, sushu, and much much more... too much good stuff! After dinner we watched thier SUPER SHOW! The Horizons! it was beautiful with over a hundred dancers! The icing on the cake to a really great and educational day! :-)

TIP: Great family spot - take the guided tour - it cost a little more - but you get everything in and see a lot more this way.

Day 4 - Father's Day! - Sunday June 18, 2006

First thing, we were sure to call our dad's at home to wish them a good day...We got to sleep in a bit! YAY! I met up with my Dad downstairs and gave him some SEES candy - he was happy! We went to the Big Kahuna again ... good stuff! After breakfast we headed to the BIG Swap meet! WOW! ...this place has just about everything a tourist could want....we spent a lot of time here getting gifts for the friends and family back home... we stopped at an outlet center for about an hour or so then afterwards we headed to the Ala Moana Shopping Center(
http://www.alamoana.com/) - HOLY MOLY! This a HUGE HUGE.... did I say HUGE...mall! Crazy big - we were there a few hours and didn't even cover two of the four floors! CRAZY BIG! Found lots of cool stuff and killer deals there.... FUN place to see - I could have spent all day here! We finished up our big shopping day and headed back to change for dinner.... we ate at Chucks Steak House in Waikiki- Good FOOD - big portions.... My hubby and I shared a Lobster/steak dinner combo with an all you can eat Salad bar and HUGE baked Potato...(only $32.95) we were both stuff silly and had plenty of Lobster so we weren't fighting over it...hee hee hee....we've been known to do that while sharing Lobster.... I think my Dad had a good Father's day as he loves to shop and dinner was Great too! I had a GREAT TIME being with him...After dinner we walked around a did our last minute shopping... and enjoyed the last bit of night life before heading to bed...

TIP: GREAT deals are found late at night - when the vendors are packing up and want to get in thier last sale...and will bargain with you for the price... we got a $75.00 wooden carved mask for only $25.oo - and a $12.00 hair clip for $4.00 - YAY!

Day 5 - Monday June 19, 2006

Our last day.... had stayed up til 2 the night before...shoping and walking around soaking up the city life.....this morning got up at 6am to head to the airport and see off my Dad... it was a quick good-bye (which was less painful that way) as our terminals were in opposite directions... hubby slept in the airport a few hours - I shopped a little more.... I walked around a lot since I would be sitting on the plane 5 hours on the way home.... BYE Dad... BYE Oahu! Love you both...IT has been a WHOLE LOT OF FUN! :-)

2 comments:

Jenny's dad said...

Well Jenny, I think that you did a pretty good job of recalling everything. I was curious to see if you would include the singing and dancing on the sunset cruise though. Good for you. Actually as it turned out you and your waitress dancing partner turned out to be the main entertainment. Hell they should have given us rebate on our tickets. Yea, right....... Anyway sweetheart, I can't begin to tell you how special that Father's day weekend was for me. I know that I can honestly say it was the best that a Father could ask for. Thanks to you and Ryan for making it special for me. Love and miss you already.
Dad

JO said...

:-)Glad to hear you had a SUPER time too... Love and miss you too!